I realized I never updated you on the changes to our living room that Nick and I made in preparation for the shower!
For your reference, here was our original list:
- Plants. The room is beggin' for them. I need help, though! How do I keep house plants alive?!
- Curtains. I just ordered these. Now that my friend, is a good deal on curtains. Still working on the curtain rod, though.
- Blinds. I want to switch out those lovely apartment standards for something warmer and more polished.
- Artwork hung on either side of window (at least). I need the aforementioned curtains hung first to see what kind of wall space I'm workin' with.
- Rug in the Eames/desk area. This is a bonus item, as I am not sure if budget will allow. It definitely needs to happen at some point, but maybe just not before the big event.
And here are some pics of the space:
|( Check out the new lamp on wicked sale at West Elm, so new that I forgot to take off the sticker)|
You'll also notice that we switched up the layout and moved the couch 90 degrees counterclockwise and removed the table behind it completely from the room. We did this just for the party in order to make more space for the group, but we decided to live with it for a while to try something new. The couch is now facing the TV, which I originally hated (I don't want the TV to be a focal point of the room, I want the windows to be), but actually I really like it so far! The room feels way bigger, and more like a real living room where I can sit on the floor and wrap presents or stretch after a run. What do you think?
So now here is our new list, of course with a few additions (aren't there always additions every time things get crossed off? is a living room ever done? maybe not, but I think that's a good thing! sorry, sorry I digress...):
- Hang art over the couch (we're thinking huge Ribba frames framing blown up photography, like this)
- Hang art around the desk (maybe a gallery wall?).
- Purchase a new coffee table (we reeeeally don't like the clunky chunky trunk anymore, but aren't sure what's next).
- Purchase bookshelf for next to the "Eames" Lounger (something low and not too big... hoping Housing Works will come through).
- Purchase rug for under the "Eames" lounger (I gotta figure out proportion on this one, but overall thinking patterned, like this) .
- Purchase small end table next to the couch. If we have end tables on either side of the couch, maybe we don't need a coffee table at all!
Nick and I also made a new apartment to-do list, broken down by room. Not surprisingly (I'm a huuuge list maker, fyi), I highly recommend doing this. It is helping us stay focused on what we want to do and it feels great to have everything on there so we can cross off even the little things (I crossed off "buy a whisk" last week, since my mom brought me one of hers, hee hee).
So D, tell me tell me, what is goin' on at your pad?